Saturday, March 09, 2013

Why Camden?

Written last night after the Rock Center broadcast:

Just watched the Rock Center story about Camden, NJ. Most viewers probably found it eye-opening. Shocking. Tragic. Shameful. Horrifying. They might be moved to do something.

I, on the other hand, found the piece irritating. It made me angry, but not for the reasons some might expect. I'm pissed because 30 years ago, I was a teenager living in a neighborhood very much like the places Brian Williams rode through with the Chief of Police. No reporters ever came around to see what it was like. Our parish priest never would have answered any questions. The local police commander was never seen, so I can't imagine him driving on a tour of the area. Bottom line: nobody gave a shit about us. We weren't worth the effort.

There was a man on my block raising fighting dogs. Yes, pit bulls. We had a cop living on our block. A younger boy we played with through his brother off the roof one day and was arrested. He was home a day or two later. Nobody wrote about it. It wasn't important.

We couldn't even get police to respond if there was no weapon in evidence. I was out of school by the time of the Simpson case. Late one night there was a loud argument on the street in front of the house. I looked out the window and say a couple having it out in the middle of the street. In half a minute he was not just hitting, but punching her in the face. An emergency dispatcher actually asked me what I expected the police to do about it. I finally got pissed and told her that they could choose between stopping the beating and waiting till he killed her. Nobody cared.

We came home one Sunday from a trip to find out there had been a drive-by shooting at the corner. When the cops were around, everyone was deaf, dumb, and blind. A few days later I heard kids talking about what had happened and who was involved. I called and tracked down the detective on that investigation to tell him what was being said. There were no news reports; it was just another shooting.

There was a drug dealer operating out of the building on the corner. It was across the street from a city bus stop. It was one block north from our parish church. The father of one of my classmates ran a taxi service, and his drivers came by regularly. The drug dealer provided drive-up service; the taxis would pull up in front, and someone would run outside to deliver the goods. During the summer, I sat on the front steps and counted how many of those cars, with the company name on them, pulled up in 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour. We lost track of how many times the place was “raided”. They would be released and back in business in 4 hours flat. Local police knew about it. My mother made sure of that, and even gave them license plate numbers. They still couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. It didn't make the news. It wasn't newsworthy.

Eventually, after several years of this, a federal raid finally cleaned out the place one night. They had to go in shooting, killed several people as they went, and discovered the escape tunnels that came out somewere on the next street. No reporter came around to do interviews. We weren't interesting.
Starting when I was in high school, gunshots would wake me in the middle of the night. After a while you get to know from the sound whether it's a handgun, whether it's automatic or revolver, and the echo lets you figure out how many streets away it is. To this day, I automatically start counting when I hear shots. I can still tell a handgun from a shotgun by the sound.

I used to ride public transportation in that city, and walk down streets that would make most of my colleagues run for cover. I shopped in tiny little ethnic grocery stores in places that would make your skin crawl. You looked both ways, not for cars, but for criminals out to empty your pocket for you. No news people were interested except for when President Carter came to visit. Those of us living it weren't worth thinking about after he left.

Why is it newsworthy today, but not back then?

No comments: