Thursday, January 12, 2012

You remember the kids with those names...

I've seen the apostraphe used as a naming accessory in every conceivable position (D'Lexus, anyone?). I've taught Shitavia, Jontavia, Tikeria, Bubba (no, NOT a nickname), Antarious, and Jawosky, along with all their friends. I've learned to pronounce names whose spelling bore no resemblance to the spoken word.I've marveled at parents who give the child a name, and then call him/her by the middle name exclusively, as well as those who call their child something that isn't even on the birth certificate. Fortunately, the lady named Marijuana Pepsi was never in my class; it would have been too much.
Here's a study on the effects of "difficult" names:  http://motherjones.com/mixed-media/2012/01/new-study-bad-baby-name-choices-destroy-lives

No comments: