Tuesday, April 04, 2006

job-hunting

I've been looking for a teaching job in a different field from the one I'm in right now. That, basically, means going to a different school, possibly a different district. My current principal has shown no interest in my staying put. She could move me into one of the open positions in my preferred discipline, but chooses not to, even though there is now a public posting for exactly the job I want. Three of my colleagues are moving on, and they are all in the same subject area, the one I want to take on. In the years I've been here, there have been at least 5 teachers hired from the outside in this subject, and a few internal reassignments. I've never been considered for any of these opportunities. When I raised the subject last year, I got a brush off. Bottom line, they feel it would be harder to hire for the job I'm in now, rather than replace someone else. In the process, however, it will become necessary to fill BOTH areas. I'm determined to get out as soon as I can.

No comments: