Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Education: teacher testing

A groundbreaking study has found that the tests we teachers are required to pass have little value in determining whether a candidate will be a good teacher. Wow. Quick, call the papers. Oh, wait, someone already called USA Today with the shocking news.
And here I thought there was something wrong with me last year. After I passed one of those content-specific exams (required to add an area of certification), I didn't feel any smarter or more competent than before. I wonder why that was? *smacks head* Duh! (can you see the sarcasm dripping here?)
If you're interested in the article, it's on the USA Today website here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2006-04-09-teachers_x.htm

What do you have to say? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Have you had to take one of these magic exams that determines your competence?

No comments: