Thursday, April 04, 2013

And, how does any of this help the child?

So, the little girl smells. Like what, they don't say in the article. Apparently the school thinks it's an issue of hygiene. So, why not help the kid out. Maybe let her get a shower at school. Maybe she needs a change of clothing. Mom says it's not a medical issue- did the school even consider that?  How does it fix the problem to have her miss 24 days of school (and counting!)?

This comes up regularly with older kids, and I've gotten good at 'the talk'. I've done it with groups, individually, and I even have some sample sizes of soaps and deodorants in my classroom in case they are needed or wanted. I've never had to call a parent about it, but it would never cross my mind that such a child should go through discipline over it.

No comments: