Wednesday, December 17, 2014

On shopping while brown

This is out of control. The discussion always boils down to black and white, but ignores all the shades in between. My mother had to have "the talk" with me back when I was a kid and the pharmacy we used had a habit of following any customers they deemed 'suspicious'. Apparently I always looked 'suspicious' when I went in there, since the so-called security person would follow me like a shark after an injured surfer.
Fast forward to today. I'm too dark to satisfy the ignorant redneck parents, yet lack sufficient melanin to please the African-American families.
Beg pardon, but there are a lot of us on this very broad spectrum, who have had to deal with subtle and non-subtle prejudice for years. Bigotry comes in many flavors.

No comments: