Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bill Moyers disappointed me last month

I've actually been so swamped at the school that there was only time just now to look up the details. There was a Bill Moyers & Co some weeks back that made me want to scream. In fact, I think I did scream. The interviewee was a psychologist who was wringing her hands over the breakdown in 'real' communication and social interaction brought about by the ubiquitousness of technology and reliance on social media.
Really, Dr. Turkle?  http://billmoyers.com/guest/sherry-turkle/
This is the most pressing issue in the first quarter of the 21st century? Is this was concerns you most?
personally, I'm more outraged at the fact that over two-thirds of the kids in my school are living in poverty. I'm more worried for the kids who haven't got tenough food when they go home, and the crappy school lunch is their best meal of the day. I'm more upset about the number of kids who will go home after school to an unsafe home. I'm concerned for the kids who don't even know where they will sleep tonight, the ones who will be listening to the sound of gunshots instead of sleeping, the ones who will hide from an abusive adult who lives in their home.
Dr. Turkle, it seems to me, is obsessing over a problem of the privileged, and ignoring the reality of those who don't have the luxury of access to social media.
Like I said, I was disappointed by Bill, and I screamed.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox

No comments: