Saturday, June 08, 2013

There Aren’t Happy Endings for Teachers in the Trenches | Teach4Real

There Aren’t Happy Endings for Teachers in the Trenches | Teach4Real

Having bbeen assured (I saw the schedule) that my assignment would remain the same for next year, I was resigned and almost optimistic about teaching math again. It was a nightmare this year; I'm not the caliber of math teacher my kids needed, deserved. I'm much stronger in almost any other area but math.

School let out, and when I returned for post-planning, I was looking forward to getting to stay in the same classroom for a change. In five years at thsi school, this was my 5th room. In the last 16 years, I've changed rooms or schools every year but one. I've only stayed in the same room once, and that was a last-minute change.

On the first day (of two) of post-planning, I learned that once again, things had changed, and I was not only being reassigned to a different grade(s) and subject, but had to relocate to another room. In a day and a half I had to move all of my shit to the new location. I've now put my energy into building rapport with the person I'll be coteaching with, but now there's an opportunity to interview for a different job at another school. Right now I'm not sure I even want it.

Such is the professional life of a teacher of students with disabilities.

No comments: