Friday, December 07, 2012

Couldn't tell by looking at the shelves

Common core standards for English Language Arts call for much mor nonfiction reading (and writing) than fiction. Because, supposedly, that's what the kids will be mostly reading as adults. Now, I love to read. and I enjoy a hefty nonfiction title as much as anybody. But a look at my book collection (paper and e-book) will show that I read considerably more fiction than I do nonfiction.  At the public library the other day, I was amazed that at least 2/3 of a small branch library was filled with fiction titles. And that doesn't include the children's collection.
Now, I agree that primary sources should be a bigger part of our instruction, but I don't believe that the reason teachers object is 'lack of training' in using informational material. That's baloney, in my book. The reality is that human nature demands storytelling. No amount of practicality can change that fact.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/class-struggle/post/non-fiction-vs-fiction-smackdown/2012/10/18/08355a3c-1713-11e2-a55c-39408fbe6a4b_blog.html

No comments: